Monday, September 22, 2008

More from Dr. Gary Chapman

Last week I put a devotional on marriage on my blog. Well, I have to add this one from today, too. It is so incredible to be reminded of what really matters. I look forward to implementing this better in my life, with my family and in my marriage. Were you taught how to love unconditionally? My mom was extraordinary at doing this. She served my father beyond her maximum capacity. I was lucky to have such a great a example. I hope you enjoy...
(Oh by the way you can sign-up for these devotionals from Dr. Gary Chapman at http://www.garychapman.org/.)

Today's Focus: Unconditional Love in Marriage
Unconditional love means that we love, and thus seek the best for the other person, regardless of their response to us. This is God's love, and this is God's challenge to us in marriage. Modern thinking is much more conditional. I will love you, if you will love me. We tend to be egocentric even in marriage. The focus of our effort is to get our own needs met. In fact, much of modern psychology has suggested that this is normal behavior. Some have gone so far as to say that all of our behavior is motivated by the desire to get our own needs met.
Unconditional love, on the other hand, focuses on meeting the needs of the other person. In marriage, it is the husband looking out for the wife's best interests, and she for his. It is not "I will wash the dishes if you will give me...." It is "I will wash the dishes because I know you are tired."
Unconditional love is the greatest gift you can give your spouse. It is not based on their behavior, but on your desire to love them as Christ loved you.

No comments: