Saturday, December 20, 2008

Heartbroken

Oh my, last night we went to see E's friends in a Christmas program and the little boys were darling cute! Just precious. Santa came to visit at the end of the night and that was fun...until...he was calling the children from the preschool up one by one and the sibling, too. It was a very cute thing. Each kid had a present in Santa's bag and they called them up to sit in his lap and tell them what they wanted for Christmas. Very sweet and fun! Not so great for my girls. They did not have a present in the bag and their names were not going to be called so L & I decided to head home before it got too hard for the girls. TOO LATE! That did not go over well. S the 2 year old moved on pretty quickly; however, my 4 year old took it personally! Tears running down her face. "Why didn't Santa have a present for me, why didn't Santa know I was coming, why? Why?" Poor thing was brokenhearted and thought she had been a bad girl. I tried to explain Santa was visiting only the preschool kids and .... Nothing worked. In this moment I wanted to tell her the truth about Santa, something I have been struggling with all year. But, the best thing happened. Finally, I got through to her. After she said, "Why didn't Santa know I was coming?" about 10 times. I told her, "Because he is not GOD! Santa does not know everything like GOD does and is not everywhere like GOD is." She didn't say another word about it. WOW- thank you Holy Spirit for sending me the right words because my heart was breaking for her and all for what. Hard night for MOM.

4 comments:

adoptingmama said...

um, ok

psn4athome said...

They are so cute! they are growing up too fast. How are you doing? Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and thinking of you. Hope you are well. Email or call if you can. Much Love.

Jennifer said...

great response. I'm glad you found the words to calm her.

Britney said...

How pitiful! Great thinking, though! I hope her belief in Santa has not been busted - at least not this young!!