Friday, May 15, 2009

Our Mama Date!




S and I had our last Mommy date while E was in preschool. We had a wonderful day of her doing her favorites! First we went to Target to get her favorite snack: popcorn and a drink, then to the mall to ride the carousel, then a picnic in the park! We had a fabulous day. We have figured out that Quality Time is her number one love language and she has really enjoyed our time this year.
While we were eating she climbed up in my lap and said, "Mama, I love spending time you. I had so much fun today!" Oh just melted my heart. In this moment I knew I had listened to the Spirit of God as a parent and took His guidance on what to focus on this year while E was a preschool...little Ms S! I spent most Monday/Wednesdays connecting with her only. I turned down many playdates just to focus on building our relationship and getting to know her.
She is a different child when alone, without her big sister around. S has a strong-will, determined, and independent spirit; yet she is extremely sensitive, loving and giving! Not to mention passionate and extremely expressive. I have no idea where she gets it :)

I pray for discernment and firm yet gentle tongue when it comes to parenting her. I definitely understand the concept of having two very different children, who will need to be loved, disciplined and raised differently but from the same foundation. (Does that make sense?) Therefore, I have spent the last couple of weeks reading some incredible Godly books on parenting. How to Really Love Your Child by Ross Campbell and the Journey of a Strong Willed Child by Kendra Smiley! Both excellent and quick reads! Next on the list for parenting books: Boundaries for Kids, The Five Love Languages of Children, How to Really Love Your Angry Child and Shepherding a Child's Heart.

To my darling S, thank you for a wonderful year full of memories! I have treasured our time together and look forward to spending more and more quality time with you. You are a precious child of God and you were made perfectly. I pray that your Daddy and I give you all the love you need, raise you up with confidence but most importantly teach you about having a relationship with Jesus. I look forward to many more Mama dates!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I SOOO understand what it's like to have 2 very different kids. Mine couldn't be any more opposite but I love them for that! I'm so glad you had that time to spend with just her.